Monday 19 September 2016

Watercolour abstract art for 29 faces catch up - face 16, 17, 18 and 19

Unfortunately my daily posting was interrupted by having to give into my cold.  I decided the only way to get rid of it was to get to bed and rest up.  Well I did that on Friday and Saturday and so by Sunday I was feeling a lot better and more able to art.  I did a few catch up one after the other in the same style and medium.  I love working with watercolour and thoroughly enjoyed working on my Jean-Luc Picard However, I have always fancied trying my hand at a little more abstract art.  So I figured why not, "how hard can it be? Right?" Well, I can tell you it is not as easy as artists who produce fantastic work make it look.


This was the first painting, done on 'The Langton' hot pressed watercolour paper by Daler Rowney 140lbs 12"x 9" There was no pre sketching done it was totally out of my head and spontaneous.  I wanted to experiment with dripping, it always looks so good on other artists work.  I faffed about with this a fair bit and I felt I was still being a little precious with the detail.  I needed to let loose. So I tried again .................


This one I switched to bigger paper as I figured it might help me to just "let Go" and try big bold brush strokes.  I used 'The Langton' hot pressed paper 140lbs 16"x 12" again by Daler Rowney and just went for it.  I liked the overall outcome, yes I can still improve but I was beginning to really enjoy this process/style of working.  Of course the downside is I now want to purchase more watercolours lol oops 

As I felt more confident I had a thought in my head, an image of a painting I wanted to do so I attempted it.  I say attempted it as it really did not quite work out how it was in my head but then as artists do we ever get that? This is what I got instead........


Again like all the other paintings I did not start with a pre sketch. It was painted on the same type and size paper as the previous painting. I actually do think it is a fair representative of what I wanted it to look like and it covers two faces so lets me catch up with 29 faces (woohoo). I am just not sure about this one being display worthy.  I feel I have kinda messed up the eye area of the male face I was trying to hint at an eye and ended up with the darker area in the wrong bit so tried to fix and just made a mess. Also as a kiss it is not as sensual as I wanted it to look.  At least that's what is in my head, that is what I see.  So what do you see? I would be interested to find out others opinions of this very raw painting.

oh I nearly forgot to say, all paintings were done using Windsor & Newton 12 half pans travel set with graduate round size 10 brush and System 3 round size 6 both brushes by Daler Rowney


Anyway Thank you for stopping by and checking out my blog :) Have a good day/evening bye for now T x







4 comments:

  1. I like all the dripping paint and I'm impressed that you don't sketch first, the third painting looks good to me, I actually like how male's eyes look with a bit darker shade like his eyes are closed

    I think you can try working the piece on new papers and perhaps you'll get the result you want. I don't think a work of art is every finished and redoing your own pieces gives you new ideas

    have a lovely day.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lissa, your comment is both encouraging and helpful. Much appreciated

      Delete
  2. Wow these are simply amazing. I love the last one especially. Painting intuitively always brings the most interesting results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicole, I really appreciate your comment. It is most encouraging :)

      Delete